Notepad is popular text editor application that is built in since Windows 3.1 until Windows last version (Windows 10, right now). Although it’s very simple text editor but many Windows user use it to write text or note. There are also many text editor applications use ‘notepad’ term on their application name.
These kind of apps offer additional feature that notepad doesn’t offers like button editor (bold, italic, etc), syntax highlighting, and another useful feature for user to write text or write program language. Some apps hope that their application can be used to replace original windows notepad.
If you don’t satisfied with original notepad or just want to know what apps that is using notepad term on their name then here are the list.
Notepad++ is a free source code editor based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL. It has smaller program size, light but powerful text editor.
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- Auto-completion: Word completion, Function completion and Function parameters hint
- Multi-Document (Tab interface)
- WYSIWYG (Printing)
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Macro recording and playback
Notepad2 is a free and open-source text editor that was written by Florian Balmer using the Scintilla editor component which support syntax highlighting for many programming languages. Fortunately, this software has not been updated since 2012.
- Syntax highlighting, Auto indentation, and Bracket matching
- Character encoding conversion between ASCII, UTF-8, and UTF-16 formats
- Multiple undo/redo; rectangular block selection
- Newline format conversion, between DOS (CR/LF), Unix (LF), and Macintosh (CR) formats
- Regular expression-based find and replace
Programmer’s Notepad is a powerful text editor which offers syntax highlighting, regular expression search-and-replace, project management, and a great user interface. This application support add-ons which allow you to add some useful add-ons. Unfortunately there are only few add-ons on Programmer’s Notepad website. It’s suitable for user who work as programmer rather then write text only.
- Syntax highlighting
- Text Clips for simple text insertion
- Search an Replace with flexible regular expression support
- Projects for navigating large code bases
- Extend using Python or C++
TED Notepad is a free light-weight notepad alternative which offers innovative features and timesaving tools like hotkeys and text-transforming tools. TED Notepad is also available on portable applications which means you don’t need to install, just click the file then it will loads instantly and ready to be used.
- Multi-level Undo/Redo
- Auto-completion: Word completion
- Support hotkeys and Horizontal mouse-wheel scrolling
- Search and replace with with Regular Expressions
- Zoom in and zoom out
If you know another text editor that is use notepad term on their name then let us know using comment below.